Saturday, November 19, 2016

I MADE SOMETHING! Cutting Corners is the Sh*t!

So.  I did it.  I DIY'd something.  And I love it, omg I love it.  It was so so simple, and THAT'S my DIY jam.  Simplicity.  I made this wall hanging out of cotton piping, brass pipe, and a hubby with a hacksaw.  One night he was taking the trash to the garage and I handed him the pipe with 3 pencil marks in it and asked him to cut it.  He came back in with 4 pieces of pipe with jagged edges and said I needed to file them down.  The tutorial also advised me to file down the edges.  Me being me, I did not.  I should have, but if I can't break a rule or two, I will never finish the project.  I'll just leave the tutorial link here so you can see the similarities and differences.  I cut out the parts that would require too much work or money.  And I still LOVE the way it turned out.  Try it.  Try making something without following all the rules.  It's awful good.

I have a fiddle fig leaf tree here now, and I just think it covers it too much..I just love it so much.
I think Mr. Fiddle Fig will need to find a new home.  Those trees are finicky little shits.  Not too much light, just the perfect amount of water, don't move them too much.  #babynumber4.


 I am coming to realize (admit) that cutting corners is kind of my thing.  From DIY projects, to cooking, to fashion, to beauty, to hygiene (kidding, kidding, I'm clean).  If I ever try a new recipe I always introduce it to my hubby with a "This sounded so good, but I didn't have any (insert crucial ingredient) so I used (insert a terrible substitute)"  And we wind up eating leftover pizza.  I also simply cannot spend the money to shop where I want, so I thrift it or find something similar on the cheap and try to fake it.  Seriously, if it weren't for Ikea, Target, and thrift stores...well I guess I would just die.  Or have an ugly house.
Literally all Target, Ikea, hand me downs, DIY, or thrift sore items...like, all of it. Hubby just installed that light fixture from a local antique shop and I can't get over it.  Even the little rust spots.  It's perfect.
And my beauty regimen. I am just as hypnotized by Sephora as the next warm blooded woman, but the prices, Lord help me, those prices.  I do a lot of googling similar cheaper products or waiting for Christmas gift cards. Guys, I am cheap.  I cut the crap out of those corners.  And I almost get a little rush out of getting a lot for a little.  No, I definitely do, there is a rush.  A beautiful wall hanging for minimal work, a cozy go-to fall sweater for $3, or a healthy meal with 2 ingredients (because I decided to omit all the spices, a little salt fixes anything).  I am just so tickled with this project I had to share and encourage you to cut some corners and go make something mediocre that you LOVE!        

No comments:

Post a Comment